Talking About Money And Numbers
PRE READING QUESTIONS
Discuss these questions with your classmates or teacher.
- What color are paper bills in the United States? Are they all the same color? Red, Blue Green, and Brown. No, they don’t have same color
- Are all the paper bills in the United States the same size? Is this a good idea? Yes, they are. That was a good idea, because people just look the color of paper bills
- What names for money do you know? In which countries are they used? US Singapore ( Singapore ) , Rupiah ( Indonesia ), Yen ( Japan ) , Dinar ( Saudi Arabia )
Reading : Money
When we think of money, we think of coins and paper bills. That is what money is today. But in the past people used many things in place of money. Some countries used cows. Other countries used salt, tobacco, tea or stones. Today there are still some places in the world that do not use paper money. One place is the island of Yap in the Pacific Ocean.
On the island of Yap, people use the heaviest in the world-Yap stones. This are round, white stone with a hole in the middle.
The Yap stones do not originate from the island. The Yap men have to go to island four hundred miles away to fetch them. Big stone can be twelve feet high-as big as two tall men. Small stones are as big as a dinner plate.
Rich people do not carry the Yap stones. Servants follow the rich. Each servant carries a stone on a pole over his shoulder. Today the people on the island used paper money for everyday shopping. But for other things they still prefer Yap stones.
Rewrite each sentence, replacing the underlined words with one of the words or phrases below.
paper bills coins island fetch
originate from servants tall pole
- We usually use two kind of money. One kind is money made of metal. We usually use two kind of money. One kind is coins.
- The other kind is money made of paper. The other kind is paper bills.
- The land with water all around it called Yap is in the Pacific Ocean. The island called Yap is in the Pacific Ocean
- The Yap stones do not come from this island. The Yap stones do not originate from this island
- The Yap men go 400 miles to go to and get them. The Yap men go 400 miles to fetch them
- The big Yap stones are as big as two big men. The big Yap stones are as big as two tall men
- People work for the rich in their homes follow the rich. Servant follow the rich
- Each servant carries a stone on a long stick. Each servant carries a stone on a pole
A. Looking for the Main Ideas
Circle the letter of the best answer
1.People always use paper money and coins
- always use paper money and coins
- always used coins in the past
- still do not use paper money all the time
2.On the island of Yap, people use stones as money
- stones as money
- two tall men as money
- small stones
3.People on the island of Yap still prefer Yan stones
- use Yap stones for everyday shopping
- still prefer Yan stones
- carry the rich on their shoulders
B. Looking for Details
Circle T if the sentence is true. Circle F if the sentence is false.
1. Yap stones have a hole in the middle. T
2. Yap stones originate from the island of Yap. F
3. Yap stones are all twelve feet high. T
4. People use small stones for dinner plate. T
5. Servants carry the Yap stone for the rich. T
6. A servant carries a stone on a pole on his-shoulder T
[ source : WIT.p.106-11 ]
0 zero 10 ten 21 twenty-one 40 forty
1 one 11 eleven 22 twenty-two 50 fifty
2 two 12 twelve 23 twenty-three 60 sixty
3 three 13 thirteen 24 twenty-four 70 seventy
4 four 14 fourteen 25 twenty-five 80 eighty
5 five 15 fifteen 26 twenty-six 90 ninety
6 six 16 sixteen 27 twenty-seven 100 one hundred
7 seven 17 seventeen 28 twenty-eight ______________
8 eight 18 eighteen 29 twenty-nine ______________
9 nine 19 nineteen 30 thirty ______________
4. Class Activity
Count the men and women in your class. Write the correct number and word for each question. Report your answers to the class.
1. How many are there? _____24______ _____21_____
2. How many have hand phone _____24______ _____21___
3. How many are moslem? _____21______ _____20_____
4. How many have blue shirt? _____13______ ______4____
5. How many have glasses? ______7____ ______2___
6. How many have black skin? ______2_____ ____2_____
7. How many have a laptop? _____5______ _____4______
TOTALS _____96_______ ____74________